Let me cut straight to the point here. Yesterday I was getting super overwhelmed and annoyed at life. Yep, hard to imagine. I always look so upbeat in my videos( cue little chirping bird) but let me tell you when the camera is off…
I am just like every other mum, trying to stay on top of managing a busy household and family while keeping my sanity intact.
So here are a few housecleaning tips I have learned along the way. I hope they help, even if just a bit! Number 1…
- Wash your non-essential clothes less often. You’ll be surprised at how much we tend to over wash. Take the sniff test. If the item of clothing has a few scruffs or superficial marks, but smells clean, just wipe down and keep wearing.
- Have two washing baskets in each bedroom, one for whites and one for colours. This will save you time sorting on washing day.
- Have a set washing day. This is tricky I know as I even struggle to follow this principle, but it really helps minimize that feeling of domestic drudgery…Whoops, I mean meaningful work that contributes to a happy family. 😁
- If you have older children tweens & teens, insist that they put the washing on the line. For more then one spring chicken, you can alternate loads. Tip. Remind tweens/teens to put pegs on the washing. Mine like to throw it on the line without them. Nice try kids! 🤨
- With the case of the missing socks, (the struggle is real). Roll your eyes and then proceed to give yourself a positive prep talk. “I will use this time to exercise my brain while searching and pairing.” 😆 This change of perspective really helps when feeling overwhelmed and a little bit over it!
- Buy mostly the same brand and same-coloured socks in two types only. There are 8 types of socks and trust me I have bought them all until I realised it was making searching and pairing a nightmare. Now I only buy white ankle and crew length. Time and sanity saver plus!
- Turn housework into an opportunity to do some incidental exercise by putting on music and dancing. Attaching a positive experience to daily jobs really helps to change your outlook by possibly making it fun! Okay, okay… I said possibly… 😊
- Encourage a daily ritual of the whole family doing a 15-minute pick up and clean at the end of the day. I call this “all hands-on deck.” You can even set a timer to add a sense of urgency. Kids love beating timers.
- De clutter! I am a bonafide minimalist. Swap buying things for buying experiences. The more things you own, the more things you must manage.
- And 10! Get the whole family involved. Encourage kids and spouses to do their share. Oh, and whatever you do don’t fall for the “I’m going to do the worst job possible so mum will think it’s easier to just do it herself trick!” If your little terrors…(I mean beautiful children) do a less than average job, insist that they do it again or another job will be added. I call this tough love. After all childhood is an apprenticeship for adulthood.
That’s it from me. If you have any cleaning tips you’d like to share, please let me know in the comments box below. Yep, I need all the help I can get… 😂
I hope you enjoyed this post and it added some value in some way. Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel here and stream and follow on Spotify here. Thanks for stopping by everybody and I’ll see you all again soon. Bye for now. Debbie Doo⭐